dinsdag 5 april 2011

The Pudding Taster and the Virtual Quizmaster (2)

A review of klikthet.nl, part 2

Yours truly, the Pudding Taster, has decided to quit referring to himself in 3th person. It seemed a good idea at first, but it makes for awkward writing.... and is hard to do consistently.

The picture on the left (from "Asterix and the Mansions of the Gods") illustrates the further drawbacks of this particular style. :-)

That being said, let's move on to today's review. I have been continuing my adventures on klikthet.nl - the weirdest dating service I've encountered so far.

I should start this review with a rectification. When I previously wrote about this site, I said that the Fair Trade label was not included in it's list of trademarks. This was in error; the Fair Trade label is there, but it is listed under "Max Havelaar" - the Dutch member of Fairtrade International. You don't see the trademarks in the system until you start typing, so typing "F" never showed me "Fair Trade". Only when I started looking for the Dutch brand instead, did I find it.

Next, about the site itself. As you may recall, this site asks it's members everything, then uses the answers in a quizzing game - you get to see pictures of other users, and are asked what they answered in the questionnaire.
The quizzing game is entertaining, but it can be outright silly. Some questions are nearly impossible to answer ("what province is this guy from?" - when you only see a head). Others are giveaways ("What skin color did this girl enter in her questionnaire?"). One other question was, "which of these three people is convinced that there's no God?" (Hint from yours truly: it's not the one wearing a crucifix).

Of course, answering questions about people doesn't get you in touch with them... which is the purpose of a dating site.
For that, the site matches you to people, that you can then chat with. Like most matching systems, only the makers of the site know what it is based on. Not getting a match for a long time, I decided to raise the age of my preferred match... and shortly after that, I got a new match. Strangely, she was not only younger than the age I indicated, but even younger than the age I originally entered! Not that I mind being matched to a much younger woman, but I have some doubts that the lady agrees...

And recently, I got another match... so now I have 3 matches that I could chat with... if they came online. Ever.

If Klikthet.nl were a pudding...
If this site were a pudding, it would be covered with whipped cream, sprinkles, those little paper umbrellas and paper flags... but if you sank your spoon in it, you would find that there's not actually a pudding underneath!

And now in English...
So, what does that say about the site in plain English? Let's see...

covered with whipped cream, sprinkles, those little paper umbrellas and paper flags:
This site revolves around a game. The game lets you score points, that you can then spend... for example, to get a view of how other people judged you.
Sometimes the site shows you two pictures of members of your desired gender, and asks which one you like best. Dragging a heart symbol to one of the two will make the two of you a potential click... if the other accepts. The price is 20 points. (It looks like this will not be taken from your points total until the other accepts - so far the only one I asked has not responded).

Also, the site uses popular language, apparently aiming at a young audience. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is done so often that it feels awkward and forced.

You can also use the points to get analysis results from your own clicking (although what this is based upon, again only the site knows). This is presented in the form of a restaurant menu, which rather wreaks havoc with my "pudding" analogy. Also I find it somewhat dubious that "new members and clicks" are called "free-range meat" in this restaurant menu... even worse in Dutch, where the word "scharrel" (free-range) can also refer to a casual romantic partner or even a person in a casual sexual encounter!

You can describe your preferred match in detail, but you can drag a teddy bear icon to any point that you find particularly important. You get three teddy bears for this purpose.

If you sank your spoon in it, you would find that there's not actually a pudding underneath
None of the my matches are online when I am. Since you can also type a message into the chatbox when the other is offline, I asked my first match if she ever came online. The silence that has now lasted for weeks tells me enough... this is yet another site that has a lot of inactive members.

Pudding Judgment: 5 out of 10 (meaning it's still unsatisfactory)
This is a funny site, but until my matches decide to come online and communicate, it fails miserably as a dating service.
It's a waste of time, but to this site's credit, at least it's a pleasant waste of time.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten